Monday, March 1, 2010

Just an average guy vs. the world

Well, hello there... yes, it has finally happened. A series of unlikely events have converged to finally fulfill my destiny... to be a blogger.

Throughout the evolution of myself it now seems so obvious... I mean I started the [BT] email (and its associated philosophy), I rant and complain all the time, why not share my brilliant insights with the world?? Exactly.

So what, you may ask, has led me to this point? It happened in a hotel room in Charlotte, NC... no its not like that but...

Item # 1 is the most inspiring thing I have read in a long time... the incredible, incredible journey of Roger Ebert (i read the story before his appearance on Oprah today). Now, you all know who he is... the "two thumbs up" film critic from the 80's. He was the fat one. But, after reading hsi story I have a new name for him: HERO.

You see, a few years ago he got sick. Really sick. But the grace, humour and spirit with which he has faced his challenges is a truly inspiring take. The story is here and here.

If you take away one thing from it... take away this:

"I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out."

By contrast, the next few items come close to making me sick to my stomach... each one an example of the steep path to complete and utter uselessness that pop culture is becoming.

Now, it could be that I am just getting old... but how is it remotely sustainable that "Speidi" (that would be spencer pratt and heidi montag from the MTV show "the hills") can actually develop and deploy their own iphone app?? I am not making this up. You can read about it here.

I mean, fuck. I love celebrity gossip as much as the next guy. But for once could it be about, you know actual celebrities. I mean, these two? Some of the most annoying people in the world. For all intents and purposes, they are useless. Put them to the "ebert test" above... no joy whatsoever emanates form these plastic people.

A couple more things could fit into this category... e.g. Keeping up with the Kardashians had like 5 million people view it!! And the cast of Jersey Shore makes like $10K just to show up at night clubs.

Ok, so maybe I'm a little jealous... but, for the most part, this whole lack of actual culture out there is depressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment